Monday, October 27, 2014

diy bicycle auto led switch

I kept forgetting to switch my bicycle tail light on and off, so I built a simple automatic light from an LED shower head that my father gave me.

The shower head normally changes color according to water temperature. A thermistor changes resistance with temperature, and the controller selects blue, green, red or blinking red LEDs.

I replaced the thermistor temporarily with a 22 kOhm variable resistor and adjusted it until I found the resistance that selected each color.

The blinking red mode was perfect for a bicycle tail light because the flashing was already built into the controller. Once I found the correct resistance, I replaced the variable resistor with a fixed resistor, connected a battery and switch, and made a mount for the seat.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnSR7Qc0YMs

Build photos below.

Photos and videos

bicycle tail light from led shower head, photograph 1
bicycle tail light from led shower head, photograph 2
bicycle tail light from led shower head, photograph 3
bicycle tail light from led shower head, photograph 4

No comments:

Post a Comment